- Number of Servings: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- Total Recipe Time: 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 hours
- 1 beef Shoulder Roast, Arm Chuck Roast Boneless or Blade Chuck Roast Boneless (2-1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14 to 14-1/2 ounces) ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 pound small red-skinned potatoes (about 1-1/2-inch diameter), cut in half
- 1 pound carrots, peeled, cut diagonally into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed
Cooking instructions for Classic Beef Pot Roast with Root Vegetables
1 - Combine seasoning ingredients; press evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place roast in stockpot; brown evenly. Pour off drippings. Season with salt and pepper.
2 - Add broth to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-1/4 hours. Add potatoes, carrots and onion to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; continue simmering, covered, 25 to 30 minutes or until roast and vegetables are fork-tender. Stir in peas; simmer 5 minutes.
3 - Remove roast and vegetables; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid, if necessary. Measure 1-1/2 cups cooking liquid and return to stockpot; stir in flour mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened.
4 - Carve roast into thin slices; serve with vegetables and gravy. Garnish with parsley, if desired.