- Number of Servings: Makes 4 servings.
- Total Recipe Time: 35 to 40 minutes
- 1 pound ground beef, 93% lean
- 1/4 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg or 2 egg whites, beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen vegetable blend
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil)
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cooked spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan cheese
Cooking instructions for "Veggified" Spaghetti & Meatballs
1 - Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, eggs, 2 tablespoons water, salt and pepper in a large bowl, mixing lightly, but thoroughly. Shape into twenty four 1 inch meatballs.
2 - Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake at 400°F for 18 to 20 minutes.
Cook Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
3 - Meanwhile, prepare marinara sauce. Place frozen vegetables in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Add 1/4 cup water; cover with plastic wrap. Heat in the microwave for 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Cool slightly.
4 - Place vegetables and their cooking liquid into blender or food processor; add the crushed and sundried tomatoes, salt, and Italian seasoning. Process until vegetable mixture is smooth. Heat sauce in a large sauce pan.
5 - Serve sauce over spaghetti and cooked meatballs. Sprinkle with cheese.