Take the Guess Work Out of Preparing a Delicious Beef Roast
If you’re like us, holidays are all about friends, family and delicious food. And if a beef roast is the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about what to serve those very special friends and family, look no further! We’ve got the resources you need for preparing a perfect roast that is sure to wow your guests.
First, this oven roasting guide will help take the guess work out of what could be an otherwise intimidating preparation method. But it’s easy – we promise! And when it comes to buying the right size roast, don’t worry – we’ve got you covered there, too. Follow this guide to buy just the perfect amount, no more, no less.
Confused about which roast to buy? Visit the Interactive Butcher Counter for a variety of roast options – you pick which beef cut fits your needs. You can also check out the pro’s recommendation for a crowd-pleasing beef roast in our recent Twin Cities Live video segment. We can even help you pick the perfect wine to pair with your roast!
After these quick refreshers, you’ll be ready to impress your guests with a mouth-watering Porcini-Dusted Tenderloin with Porcini-Wine Sauce, served with a side of fresh vegetables, like sautéed green beans or roasted Brussels sprouts. Yum!
With these easy roasting steps, you will be sure to bring the perfect roast to your holiday dinner. Whether it is a big gathering or a small get together, your guests will enjoy beef as the main course, as well as the company of family and friends.
For more beef recipes, perfect to prepare for friends and family this holiday season, visit the Minnesota Beef Council website.
Number of Servings: Makes 8 to 10 servings
Total Recipe Time: 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours
What you’ll need:
- 1 beef Tenderloin Roast Center-Cut (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 can (14 to 14-1/2 ounces) ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 cup dried porcini mushrooms, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups finely diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup dry red wine
- Salt and pepper
What you’ll do:
- Bring broth to a boil in medium saucepan; remove from heat. Stir in 3/4 cup mushrooms; let stand 10 to 15 minutes or until mushrooms are softened.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 425°F. Place remaining 1/4 cup mushrooms in food processor container. Cover; process until finely ground. Combine ground mushrooms, cheese and pepper; press evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 425°F oven 35 to 40 minutes for medium rare; 45 to 50 minutes for medium doneness.
- Meanwhile, add tomatoes and wine to mushroom mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 30 to 45 minutes or until sauce is reduced to 2-1/2 cups and turned a rich, brown color, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 145°F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°-15°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
- Carve roast into slices. Season with salt, as desired. Serve with Porcini-Wine Sauce.