We’re Dining with Alice on Twin Cities Live
Tomorrow, it’s time – time for another segment on Twin Cities Live!
Joining us on tomorrow afternoon’s segment, is Alice Seuffert, the successful woman behind the “Dining with Alice.”
Alice is a mom to two, school-aged kids (Stella and Wes). She is passionate about blogging, as well as savoring food, recipes and motherhood.
“I want to help you conquer the kitchen, be the mom you want to be, and make room for who and what you want in life,” she says.
Alice goes on to say, “In my kitchen, I have a huge sign that says, ‘Gather.’ To me, that sign means we gather together to celebrate good food and have meaningful conversations together. That’s what I hope for you.”
Tomorrow, Alice will be featuring a take-out style beef meal that will be perfect for Black Friday. After being “turkey-ed out” on Thanksgiving, you’ll be craving some delicious beef for a protein punch after you shop ’til you drop! So, we’ve got you covered with some slow-cooker, take-out inspired Beef and Broccoli, as well as Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches.
To make these recipes, head over to your grocery store now so you’re ready to cook with us! We’ll be using a Chuck Roast for the Beef and Broccoli recipe, and a Tip Sirloin Roast for the Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches.
You can plan to review the recipe before tomorrow, so you can easily follow along as Alice “shows and tells!”
First off, is her “Beef and Broccoli” Recipe:
Beef and Broccoli Recipe
2.25 lbs Chuck Pot Roast (boneless)
½ Large Sweet Onion (thinly sliced)
3 cups Beef Stock, divided
¾ cup Soy Sauce
½ cup Brown Sugar
¼ cup Sesame Oil
1 TB Minced Garlic
3 TB Cornstarch
16 ounces Frozen Broccoli (defrosted and warmed)
Place the pot roast in your freezer for twenty minutes. Remove from freezer and slice the beef into 3 inch long and ½ inch wide pieces or medium bite-size pieces. Remove any large chunks of fat. Place beef into a Crock-Pot Slow Cooker set to high, and add onion slices, 2 cups of beef stock, ¾ cup soy sauce, ½ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup sesame oil, and 1 TB minced garlic. Cook on high for 2 hours.
In a small Tupperware container with a sealable lid, add 1 cup of cold beef stock and the 3 TB of cornstarch, put on the Tupperware lid and shake until combined. Add this mixture to crock-pot, replace lid, and continue cooking an additional hour. Once the beef has finished cooking, add the broccoli.
Serve with green onions, nuts or seeds, and over rice.
Tips for Making Beef and Broccoli:
- A chuck roast brings flavor to this dish, however, remove any large chunks of fat before cooking.
- Wait to add the broccoli until the end to maintain the color and texture of the broccoli.
- This recipe does really well as a leftover. Make the recipe in your crock-pot slow cooker, store, and reheat for a quick weeknight meal or lunch.
Next, Alice will be showing her Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches –
Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich Recipe
You can find Alice’s recipe here: http://diningwithalice.com/crockpot/phillycheesesteak/
Alice’s Tips for Making Crock Pot Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches:
- Do some research ahead of time and find a butcher who will slice the tip sirloin for you. If you are going to a butcher at a grocery store, you may need to call a day ahead or check on the meat slicer’s hours (they usually aren’t always available).
- The thinner you get the meat sliced the better!
- If you must have Crock Pot Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches and you can’t get it sliced, you can always buy a tip sirloin roast, put it in your freezer for 20 minutes, and slice it as thin as you can.
- I use the slicing blade on my food processor to get the thinnest onions and peppers. Make sure you use sweet onions.
- This makes a great freezer meal and this recipe is featured in my ebook, Freezer Meals for Moms, available for purchase here: http://www.e-junkie.com/293628/product/504555.php
Be sure to tune into KSTP-TV at 3:00 p.m. for the LIVE segment and follow our Instagram account for all of the behind-the-scenes!
Get ready to kick it in the kitchen!